Buckingham - Peckett 0-4-0ST No. 2087
Buckingham has been recently purchased by Society member Martin Staniforth and arrived at Mangapps in January 2018.
This locomotive, of Peckett class OY-1, was one of only six, being part of a batch of four built to the order of Courtaulds in 1948. When new, No. 2087, then named Dafydd, was sent to Courtaulds' Aber Works, Flint, North Wales. It was subsequently transferred to Wolverhampton, where it lost the name. Finally, No. 2087, went to
Courtaulds' Red Scar, Preston, plant. Here it was rebuilt with parts from scrapped sister engine No. 2086, and worked until replacement by diesel in 1968. During its time at Prestonit was named Miranda.
After withdrawal the loco was purchased by the Lytham Creek Motive Power Museum. In March 1980 it was transferred to the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway for possible use there, but was never steamed A Quainton Rrailway Society member purchased it in 1983, and in December of that year it was moved to Quainton.
At Quainton it has appeared in a number of liveries, both permanent and temporary. These include BR Black, London Transport and Fords. The loco carried the name Gibraltar for some of that that time.
|Cylinders||16" x 24"|
|Wheel Diameter||3' 10"|
|Working Pressure||200 lb in2|
|Tractive Effort||22, 706 lbs|
|Total Weght||41.00 tons|